WIWI-M-04S0?-EC: Seminar Umweltökonomie: Economic growth, well-being and environmental quality
Economic growth, well-being and environmental quality
In this seminar, we will reflect on how welfare is measured in a state. What measurement variables are used, what are the target variables and how are wellbeing and environmental quality taken into account?
First, we will examine the structure of the commonly used welfare measure GDP (Gross Domestic Product), followed by an elaboration of why economic growth can improve or worsen environmental quality (Kuznets-Curve, Limits to Growth, Solow-Modell, etc.), and what factors actually constitute well-being.
Then we will shed light on popular alternatives for measuring welfare. We will examine how each of these indices measure economic development, wellbeing and environmental quality. Based on the previously identified principles, we will identify strengths and weaknesses, and ask whether the respective index could be a valid alternative to the GDP.
times: Termine am Dienstag. 13.10.20, Dienstag. 08.12.20, Donnerstag. 10.12.20, Dienstag. 15.12.20, Donnerstag. 17.12.20 16:00 - 18:00
first term: Di , 13.10.2020 16:00 - 18:00, Ort: (ONLINE)
course type: seminar
fields of study
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften > Master of Science "Betriebswirtschaftslehre" > Seminare
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften > Master of Science "Betriebswirtschaftslehre" > Economics
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften > Master of Science "Economics" > Seminare
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften > Master of Science "Economics" > Economics
- Systemwissenschaft > Vorlesungen
- Systemwissenschaft > Master Umweltsysteme und Ressourcenmanagement
- Wirtschaftswissenschaften > Courses in English
- Business Administration and Economics